Thunderstorms and Lightning
Thunderstorms are dangerous storms that include Lightning and can create or cause:
- Powerful winds over 50 mph
- Flash flooding and/or tornadoes
How to prepare for Thunderstorms & Lightning:
- Know Your Risk: Know your area's risk for thunderstorms. In most places, they can occur year-round and at any hour. Sign up for your community's warning system. The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio also provide emergency alerts.
- Strengthen Your Home: Consider buying surge protectors or other supplies in the event of a power outage.
- Make an Emergency Plan: Create an emergency plan so that you and your family know what to do, where to go and what you will need to protect yourselves from the effects of a thunderstorm. Identify sturdy buildings close to where you live, work, study, and play.
For more information on how to prepare for Thunderstorms and Lightning, please click here.